1: Ringing in the New Year
2: Thank You Very Much
Newsletter January 2017
January Word of the month “Douzo” (Here you go)
Happy New Year!
We hope that this holiday season offered peaceful quality time with family and friends. Thank you all for your tremendous support and understanding towards our events in 2016. This year (2017) is our 30th anniversary, which marks a big milestone for KNI.
All of our staff will do our best towards stepping into a bright future with your children. Again, we are looking forward to working with you under your continuous support throughout the year.
• 1/4(Wed), 1/5(Thu), 1/6(Fri): 2nd Semester begins for each class
• 1/7(Sat): 2nd Semester begins for Saturday Japanese school
• 1/8(Sun): Mochitsuki (Mochi pounding) Festival at the church parking lot from 1pm to 3:30pm
• 1/16(Mon): Holiday – Martin Luther King Jr Day
• 1/21(Sat): Bible Story by Rev. Tanabe
• 1/18(Wed), 1/19(Thu), 1/20(Fri): January birthday party and offerings
• 1/27(Fri), 1/28(Sat): Sumire, Ume, and Sat Japanese school Setsubun (Bean Tossing) Ceremony
Our Goals for January:
• Enjoy playing traditional Japanese New Year’s games such as Karuta (cards), Takoage (kites), Sugoroku (board games), Fukuwarai (similar to Pin the tail on the donkey), Komamawashi (tops), and Hanetsuki (battledore), while learning the importance of following rules.
• Finding pleasure in making their own tops and kites, and playing with them.
• Being familiarized with Japanese letters and getting interested in letter exchanges through playing “postal service”.
• Paying attention to and enjoying daikons' growth.
• Developing the routine of washing hands and gargling during the winter season.
Songs for January:
• Renge: Yukidaruma no cha cha cha (Snowman’s cha cha cha)
• Momo: Yagisan Yubin (Goat’s Mail)
• Sumire: Tako no Uta (Kite song)
• Kiku: Takibi (Bonfire)
• Ume: Kodomo wa Kazenoko (Kids are children’s wind)
• Sakura: Hana wa Saku (Flowers will bloom)
• All classes: Mochitsuki no Uta (Mochi pounding song), Mamemaki (Bean tossing)
Ringing in the New Year
＊I've gained a lot of energy from all of the children that attended Kodomo No Ie last year. I plan to enjoy this year full of energy along with them. Also, I would like to keep up with the children with our daily exercises.【Miss Tabari】
＊There were many firsts for me since coming to America. The children were a source of great fun and laughter. This year, I plan to enjoy the American food culture and the exciting experiences with the children.【Miss Yasukawa】
＊Happy New Year. This was my first New Year celebration in America. There were times I felt down from the stress of being in a new country, but the children gave me plenty of support. I plan to give back to the children for all the encouragement they have provided me. I’d also like to find some good desserts.【Mr. Maezuka】
＊I plan to put health first by looking after both mind and body, taking it easy, and taking my time in my daily life. I plan to put more effort in cooking for my health! Hoping for a year filled with laughter with the children!【Miss Kanno】
＊Happy New Year. I hope to continue to play energetically with the children in 2017. I plan to put effort into both piano and playtime. I hope it is a good year for everyone. 【Miss Ogino】
＊2017 is a big milestone year for both the school and myself. I am grateful for the many years that I have been able to spend with the children, and I look forward to many more in the coming days.【Miss Umehata】
Thank You Very Much
We held our Christmas pageant on December 17th in the chapel. The children of Sakura Class gave an inspirational performance during the Christmas service, despite very few practice sessions. The music performances by each class were fun and filled the chapel with lively singing. To those that joined the Christmas pageant committee, class mothers, and those that were part of the DVD team, thank you so much. I am grateful from the bottom of my heart. The donations collected at the pageant totaled $430, and it will go towards the church. Thank you for all the donations. In addition, thank you for our gifts. I apologize that I am using this forum to give thanks. I would like to add that we enjoyed reading each and every beautiful and sweet Christmas card. Thank you for everything.